Monday, July 30, 2012

Rabindranath and Winternitz (contd-1)

On 9th Sept. in the evening, on the 2nd floor of the Viswabharati Library a  general meeting of Sammilani was held where Rabindranath took the president's chair. Winternitz started reading an essay on  a comparison between Indian literature with the International Literature  and finished it on 13th Sept. Rabindranath liked the essay very much. It was decided that Winternitz had to go to Banaras and Rabindranath wrote to Ranu,
" Winternitz will go to Banaras at the end of  Sept. Request your father so that proper reception is made to his behalf. he delivered a lecture on " Indian literature as a World Literature. and if a lecture be arranged there - your father may request him to do so."
It was decided that the teachers and the students would stage a drama on the day of fare-well of Winternitz. Rabindranath added in his letter written to Ranu;
" Winternitz will bid his farewell from Ashram on 15th Sept. On that occasion the students will tage a portion of the drama " Uttar-Ramcharit"  Sita, Basanti, Tamasa etc are preparing themselves in full swing for taking the final make up. Having noticed this Dinoo has furious, he has thrown both of his hands to sky and said ;
" Ghor kali eseche ghanaye - chinna gumpha
Dambha bhare nari-kanti haribare chay,
Kachcha-koncha sari-rupe asphalan kare /"
His messenger came to me just now and expressed his grief. I too got aggrieved. Just on that day I stood on the stage with full pride accompanying with my companion as a co-actress. I presumed that her voice was telling me, Bhanu Dada, come and let us go beyond this stage.In reply I said, Yes, yes, I shall go. Ranu I shall go because I had to go." Tomorrow is the day fixed for the drama. I decided to make them encouraged being present there. It will be difficult for me to encourage them when they will act on the stage."