Monday, July 2, 2012

Rabindranath and West and South India (contd-13)

From Ceylon Rabindranath reached Tribandrum on 8th Nov,1922. The people of Tribandrum specially greeted him there. Rabindranath and Mr. Andrews boarded in the Govt. Guest-house.
Rabindranath was given a grand ovation in the Jubilee Hall of Tribandrum by the citizens on 9th Nov. The Chief justice of Tribandrum read the felicitation paper addressed to Rabindranath. In reply Rabindranath narrated the aims and objects of Viswabharati and appealed for their co-operation.
Rabindranath wrote a letter to Elmhirst in which he mentioned among other things on 13th Nov;
"Your marriage proposal (with Dorothy) has my heart's approval. and blessings.It will take a large load off my mind when it happens, for I have discovered that lately you have been paying an alarming amount of attention to a certain Brahmin maiden, diverting her heart from its previous course.( Probably, Rabindranath mentioned his relation developed during last summer in Nainital with Ranu Adhikari)  My days have been strenuous and though often I felt that I am not strong enough to to bear the strain I do not repent. I am the sower of seeds the soil is not barren and I am sure that the harvest will be reaped in time."
He wrote his hope in the letter written to Kalidas Nag on 14th Nov;
" I took the responsibility of propagating the ideals of Viswabharati. I am sure I could have injected the ideas in the minds of the people I met. Wherever I have said, people got me. I think, we shall be able to get members from all corners of India. I want that the whole India becomes united in this ideal. Santiniketan is not now confined only in the corner of Bolpur. It has come out - for its pilgrimage. I have not expected so much -  because Gandhi has wanted to keep India alienated from the rest of the world by covering it with a rag.Now I find that the  concept of global unity inherent in India has been suppressed so long, is now trying to expose itself before the universe.This is to my astonishment that I have not been obstructed any where this time. The road of our journey is gradually becoming smooth. The only thing is , we require more propagators.  The proposals from West are coming to us. This is the time for securing co-operation from our own land."
On 15th Nov. Rabindranath left Tribandrum and started for Quilon (Kollam, often anglicized as Quilon, is a city in the Indian state of Kerala. The city lies on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake on the Arabian sea coast and is situated about 71 kilometres north of the state capital, Thiruvananthapuram). He broke his journey at Varkallai.