Monday, July 2, 2012

Rabindranat and West and South India (contd-12)

Tamil Union of Colombo convened a meeting to felicitate Rabindranath  on 20th Oct at 5 pm to continue upto 6.30 pm in a nicely decorated canopy set on Cambell Park
Rabindranath was becoming tired with all these programmes but he had endure all these because he had to propagate the ideals of Viswabharati and for getting physical and financial support. Narrating all these he wrote to Rothenstein;
" It is my mission which does not allow me any rest but drives me across long distances to strange surroundings. For over a month I have  been travelling from place to place in Southern India till at last I have reached Ceylon. The time is not all favourable in India for me to persuade our people of the importance of the reconciliation of East and West ...All the same the fact  is that man is man and we must keep him reminding of it by constantly appealing to his humanity ... I have occasional doubts in my mind as to whether I have not strayed away from my own true vocation ; if that be so I have come too far off my track to be able to retrace my steps . I must jog on to the end of my days even though I feel weary and homesick for the solitude where my dreams had their early nest.
He started for Kandy leaving Calombo..
On the way he had a break journey at Peradeniya where the people Kandy greeted Rabindranath. Andrews and Mrs Frseir were along with him. Many important persons of Kandy gave a warm reception to Rabinfdranath at the junction of Peradeniya Road and Railway Station approach road. An well decorated procession was arranged  with Rabindranath on a decorated car. Enroute to Kandy he was garlanded in ew places by stopping the car.The procession ended in front of Trinity College before decorated stage.. Inspite of heavy shower many people stood on both sides of the road to see him. He was greeted at the Trinity College.While staying at Kandy he became guest of Reverand and Mrs A G. Frseir.
He took rest at a place called Newara Eliya and left Ceylon on 7th Nov,1922.
Before leaving Ceylon he gave an interview to  a reporter of Cylon Independent describing his appreciation about the natural scenery of Ceylon;
" his stay in Newara Eliya greatly refreshed him, and his health, in a measure, been restored though he is still far from well . He hopes to obtain a few days' rest in Travancore and to go by launch to Alwaye through the wonderful scenery of the black waters."