Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rabindranath and Bisarjan (contd-7)

Rabindranath being  much pleased by reading the critical appreciation in a fine poetic English language wrote Amal Hom ; I saw in your paper the comments of Amrita lal Basu about my Bisarjan extending his open eulogium.  His unequivocal appreciation gave me satisfaction. You will please convey my heartiest greetings to him. I don't  remember that I got any appreciation from the well person in the field of drama earlier.
After the 3rd show held on 28th Aug an advertisement was published in Ananda Bazar Patrika ;
" Bishes Anurodhe / Bisarjaner Punarabhinay / Rabindranath himself will participate / Empire Theater / Thursday 30th Aug 5.30 pm. Entry fee is less than before.
The Satesman also printed another advertisement mentioned by Rudrprasad Chakraborty;
" Empire Theater / in aid of Viswabharati / By special request / for one day only/ Rabindranath Tagore/ In Visarjan/ saturday 1st sept.
So, there were 5 shows of the drama. Ranu Mokhopadhyay in her memoir wrote about the incident occurred in one day ;
"  Oh, what happened in one day ! In old Empire the Theater Bisarjan  is going on. All on sudden a spark of fire had fallen from the top Being afraid I ran to the green room. Bhanu Dada dressed in Joysingh caught hold of my hand. Asking me as per the situation began to recite his dialogue fluently."Rabindranath too mentioned the incident in a letter written to Ranu from China on 21st April 1924 , " It came to my mind all on a sudden, the days of the drama Bisarjan. at the back side of me there is droppings of fire and I am fluently uttering my dialogue catching hold of a girl's hand. If I tried to run away, we would not have any difficulty of getting heads of human body for the goddess Mahakali "
There was no shortage  of greetings coming from different sources which is visible in the book
 " Rangamancha O Rabindranath : Samakalin Pratikriya." by Rudraprasad  Chakraborty.