Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rabindranath in Europe (Paris) - April 1921

Rabindranath wrote to Rothenstein on 17th April from Paris; " I hope it will be possible for you with the help of Mr.Montagu, Lord Carmichael and other sympathizers to make a draft of rules and list of names of those who will be likely to join us . I have reasons to hope that some oriental society in this country can be persuaded to represent us in France and work in our behalf." But the change of his mind was reflected in the letter written to Andrews on the next day that he was doing work in his whole life alone because he was one in his mind and in his work. The root of all his works were in his own imagination. But the spokesmen to form  a committee for Viswa Bharati to obtain the status of an International University said that  not the root but the strong foundation was needed. It needs to be solidly built upon international boards and committees and funds contributed by men of prudence and foresight ."... " In the establishment of the International University, the foresight of the experienced will never forsake me, it will go straight to the helm and take charge; and only then the prudent who give money and the wise who give advice will be satisfied." The university will be built on solid foundation but that so called foundation will be obtained at the cost of the souls and freedom of others." because - " the cage is permanent , not the nest."
He again wrote on 24th April, " I have a suspicion in my mind that they want to kill my work in its infancy with the pelting of their help At any rate they want to tame it and exhibit it with the pride of their own managerie. But it is needless to assure you that I am not going  to allow my Istitution to be tied to the tow-boat of India Office or any other influential body. I know it would have saved me from a great deal of trouble and opposition  - but when by some artificial protection we save ourselves from trouble in the beginning crops up worse form end," He also sent a copy of the letter written to Rothenstein to Andrews on the same date;
" ..I would not allow my idea to be pinned to a word  a dead butterfly oreign museum.It must be known finition by its own life growth . I saved my Santiniketan from being trampled into smoothness by the steam roller of your education department. It is poor in resources and equipment but it has the wealth of truth that no money can ever buy. I am proud of the fact that it is not a machine made article perfectly modelled in your workshop - it is our very own... Now I am beginni g to discover that it was more an ambition than an ideal which dragged me to the gate of the rich West. ...And I am being punished deep in my heart.  So long I have been able to retain my perfect independence     and self respect use I hain my own resources and proudly worked within their sovereign limits...likely I shall never be ble to workin harmony with a board of trustees , influential and highly respectable I am a vagabond .powerful people orld  the lords of the earth may make it difficult for me to carry out my work. I know itI had experience of it in connection with my Shantiniketan and also in my tour in America."
The language of the reply of Rothenstein is also unpalatable;
" Indeed I am neither a believer in machines, nor an Inspector of Schools, nor an enemy of freedom, yet you write as though I were all those things. I think you mistake  not myself only but your own self tooFor I believe you to be a poet, an inspirer of noble motives a friend to all the gallant tof life.I do not believe o be a man on & of affairs & I foresee y difficulties in your path if you take that dusty road . your letter does not change my forboding...But I realise that ie is an ignoble thing to be sober when one's fellow guests are intoxicated; it is an attitude above all others to me.You must admit you have taken full advantage of your jug of wine!....So my blessings on your pilgrimage . No more sensible words shall come from me o irk your spirit.You shall lay the foundation of your city with your desire , these will make mortar to hold the bricks & stones together."
Rabindranath replied to this letter from Geneva on 8th May at his 61th Birth Day. He described how he had been obstructed by the British authorityin drive of collection of fund for Viswa Bharati in America. " How can I be certain that this mistrust which has nearly killed my mission by its antagonismt kill it by help."