Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rabindranath in India - 1921

The ship Morea carrying Rabindranath with his party and Sbhas chandra Basu on 16th July,1921 at Bombay port. The daughter of Surendranath and  Arabindo Mohan Basu, the nephew of Jagadish Chandra, arrived met them on 2nd July at the ship. Rabindranath took the train immediately the train Bombay-Howrah mail via Allahabad. Sita Devi wrote in her "Punyasmriti", " Prasanta Chandra [Mahalanabis] met them at the Burdwan station and informed us in the morning of 18th July that the poet is alright". Prasanta Chandra himself wrote on this issue;
" The poet started for India and will not stay for a single day in Bombay. He will to Santiniketan via Burdwan  inthe overnight corresponding train. I went to Burdwan station in night just before the scheduled date and passed the night in the station.The train reached the platform early in the morning when daylight was yet visible.I got in the train and bowed down my head before him and saw that the face of the Poet was serious. The first word he uttered to me, " Prasanata, I came to the country where Rammohan was called a Pigmy." After so many days, this was his first introduction. He then opened his mind, I was  getting letters from Andrews, Suren and others staying abroad and was thinking myself -  I shall surely take the responsibility to do what I'm to do and trying to get myself ready for this during my journey and when the ship reached shore I got a news paper just before I got down from the ship and saw  astonished that Rammohan Roy was termed "a pigmy" because he learnt English - this was the head line news of our news paper. I can't forget this any more."
But this news he first received on 10 May 1921 when he was in Switzerland. He protested in the letter written  to Andrews about the comment of Gandhiji.
The fifth session of the conference of Viswa Bharati was held in Kalabhavan of Santiniketan on 18th July. Gurudev reached Santiniketan inthe morning but could not attend the session due to his ill health. Rathindranath narrated in a nutshell their journey in the meeting.
On the next day, 19th July, " Purnima Sammilani" - the scheduled printed programme which was distributed stated twelve songs would be sung. But since Rabindranath was not able to participate due to his tiredness it was held on  15th Aug ( 27th Shraban).
On 20th July, Rabindranath came to Calcutta. The Statesman   wrote, " Dr. Rabindranath Tagore, the great poet, has reached Calcutta after a prolonged tour of Europe and America. It will be interesting to watch the attitude of the poet towards the present situation in India."