Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rabindranath in Europe (contd-3)- 1921

On 21April at 3 pm, in an exhibition "Musee Guimet" Rabindranath read the essay "An Indian Folk Religion" organised by Societe Amis de l'Orient in an audience of about 300/400. The president of the meeting Emile Senart greeted Rabindranath by  a presentation of  a medal Repulique Francaise. The above organisation, lover of the East , had compensated their mismanagement through other contribution.The Modern Review in its June Issue published the news;
" We learn from the secretary of the Associationa Francaise des Amis de l'Orient (Paris) that they hav collected about 350 volumes for presentation to the College de Santiniketan (Bengale). The books comprise classics, works on art and literature, pedagogics , etc.Our readers are aware that these "Friends of Asia" have their headquarters at Musee Guimet and have for their president Emile Senart, member of the Institute de  France.
Rathindranath wrote in his diary on 20th April;
"M.Desjardin for lunch Bomanji arrives from London and decides to join us in continental tour."
Rolland wrote on 21st April in his diary;
" Rabindranath invited me and my sister in lunch at Autour Du Monde. He is a guest there. Excepting the residential secretary of the group and another member of the hostel, all belonged to our company. Rabinndranath, his son, wife of his son, and one nephew. My problem is I can't talk to Rabindranath straight because we don't have a common language. I only communicate my expression through my sister by interpretation.He said about the International University he would be going to establish in Santiniketan near Bolpur.He is having his tour in Europe for cooperation in this regard. He is going to Soain in the coming week.Then he will go to Switzerland and Italy.he  handed over a printed leaflet containg the appeal for contribution to this university. The motto of this University is to develop and reunite the culture of Scematic, Aryan, Mongal etc and mix up with the culture of the West derived by cultivation of Science, Philosophy, and Culture. His imagination is to guide an Asian Cultural Renaissance. He made us listen his two songs. Those are the poems of Gitanjali. he composed it in music. He composed all the poems of Gitanjali in Music. Most of his poems are like these. Replying to a question put by me , he said in most of the cases I write the poem first and then gave its tuning . In some cases the tunings appear in my mind earlier and then put words to fit into it.. I offered him  two books written by me."
Rolland read the leaflet and promised to give all his as far as possible and wrote him informing;
" I have read your noble appeal, and I have been profoundly touched by it. It responds to some of my dearest wishes. You may rest assured that I shall do all that is in my power to support your generous initiative and find in Europe adherents for your university of Santiniketan." He also wrote if his health permits he might go to Santiniketan.There might be some difficulties regarding language but he wants to introduce some important ideas of west into the minds of the students of the East, he also wrote it is a pleasure to be introduced with a person like Rabindranath and to pass some time with him " will remain  among the most precious in my memory.".