Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Rabindranath in Brussels (contd-1)-1920

Having been finished his lecture, Rabindranath stayed for another two days in Brussels. He was moved here not because the people here knew English but because the could understand his poetry and loved them. He was also became astonished that the ordinary people of Europe are so fond of his poetry. He expressed his feelings in a letter written to Ruthenstein on 6 Oct sitting in the Grand Hotel Britannique;
" .... the welcome which has been accorded to me in all the countries that i have traveled in Europe has been deeply genuine and generous to the extreme.This makes it delightfully easy for me to give out the best that I have in me in an easy.flow of communication ... I feel it clear that my relationship with the continental Europe is natural and unobstructed, being disinterested. In England, I have distinctly felt in my last visit, it is obscured owing  I am sure, to the politics that ever stands between our people and yours, consciously or unconsciously. I have nothing to do directly with politics, I am not a nationalist, a moderate, or immoderate in my political doctrine or aspiration. But politics is not a mere abstraction, it has its personality and it does intrude in my life where I am human."
He also wrote as a prophet;
" but you must know that the downfall of your Empire is imminent when the moral downfall of your people is proceeding in a rapid pace. It is natural that you will put more and more faith upon brute force for holding together your unwieldy Empire, making it so monstrously ugly that the whole outraged world will pull it down to disgust. Your bloated prosperity is a barrier that prevents you to see what bearers of doom are silently marshaling their forces against you till the sudden signal is given from the dark."
In many times Rabindranath said high of the hospitality he had from the persons of Holland.