Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rabindranath [1861 -1941] and Sarat Chandra [1876 -1938] (contd-2)

The slogan, "Swaraj in a year", invented by M.K.Gandhi,  created a magic influence over the minds of Indians so that even the intellectuals like Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay whom Rabindranath once called a " great living artiste of Bengal " was waiting in trembling heart for the supernatural date and was reluctant to discuss on this subject because he would get hurt with any word against it.
Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay was then a strong supporter of Non-Cooperation Movement. He became the president of Howrah Congress Committee by the proposal of Chittaranjan Das. One  day [ 23rd July, 1921]  he came to Rabindranath Tagore and proposed him to support the Non-Cooperation and Charka Movement. But the poet did not agree with the proposal. At this Sarat Chandra left the place with displeasure.Since then Sarat Chandra was acting as anti-Rabindranath for some time. Romain Rolland mentioned about the grievances of Rabindranath, " Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay whom Rabindranath called "a greatest living artiste of Bengal and a man of highest conscience".
In the mean time the news papers supporting the non-cooperation and Boycott movement became vocal against the "essay" . The mentionable protest was made by the president of Howrah Zilla Congress Committee, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay. He wrote an essay " Shikshar Birodh" which  he read in " Gouriya Sarbavidyayatan and was published in the the paer " Narayan" in Agrahayan issue, edited by  one of the leader of non-cooperation  Chittaranjan Das.
But after some time, out of repentance, Sarat Chandra wrote a letter to Rabindranath on 9th May, 1921,
"  I got information from from different sources that you are very much displeased with me. I might have said something in a heated moment which is not applicable to you . ..... I have surely said something which I should not have said...
I had come from your place in an offensive way. Probably from that time  I said some irrelavant words . I might have thought that let the people misunderstand me. I have done much wrong to you, and taking this as my first mistake please forgive me.I am one amongst your large number of followers who do not say anything ill of you . I do not know how I have done a mistake at that time ."