Sunday, June 10, 2012

Viswa Bharati and Gandhiji (contd-14)

The supporters of non-cooperation movement launched by Gandiji were critical about Viswa Bharati  University  Even Gandhiji himself expressed adverse criticism about this University in "Induprakash"  magazine.
Rathindranath wrote to Bomanji about functioning of Viswa Bharati University on 13th Feb,1922;
" Indirectly this will be of the greatest political value to our country.But, at present, because we have had to keep the Istitution out of the political struggle we are being greatly misunderstood & suffering great injustice. Mahatmaji's recent remarks regarding Santiniketan ( as reported in the Indu-Pakistan) has hurt us very deeply - but we believe it id best to overcome such misunderstanding & resistance by work and results. Our country is in sad need of constructive work from every side  - we have had enough of 'words'. Rabindranath, too, wrote advocate Ambika Charan in the same tune on 22nd feb;
" Viswa Bharati has started functioning . The people of our country is now in a mood of tension and as such they could not concentrate at my work at Santiniketan, rather are putting some obstruction. I have to work always in my life alone against several oppositions without any support - I don't bother for that.' He also added, " It is my desire to open a department of Bacteriology in Viswa Bharati if I get suitable person." Probably this thought came to his mind after visiting the laboratory of Dr.Darnard Bay.
A few days ago on 27th Jan Rabindranath wrote to Prasanta Mahalanobis against the criticism of Viswa Bharati by the people of our country'
" The thought of Viswa Bharati I am keeping in  my mind is a part of practice I am doing in my meditation. In the development of human history there is a desire for union of man and nature and of mam and man.  You have said to me that the people of our country are  asking you that in these days when the people's mind  are  unrest what was the necessity of establishing an University. The answer is , The establishment of Viswa Bharati was not result of my necessity or of our country's necessity - the truth and the well being  inherent in it is beyond our necessity and that is why no time is untimely to it rather when there is a resistance from outside or the time is untimely to outside world is the optimum time for its appearance."