Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rabindranath and Leonard Elmhirst (contd-1)

Leonard observed that Rabindranath was addressed by others as Gurudev and everyone having seen him used take dust from his feet and touch it in his head. Pearson informed him that there was nothing wrong in showing respect to the respected person.. Alternatively, one might salute him with folded hands. Leonard wrote this to Dorothy who in turn replied on 11 Jan, 1922,  protesting  vehemently ;
" Your letter....I love it all myself - every bit of it - except the obeisance to Tagore - brushing dust from his feet !   I don't see how he can set himself above the others, in this way; and accept their marks of reverence.."  
Leonard wrote to Dorothy to remove her wrong idea about Rabindranath;
" Now let me correct you on the matter of obeisance to Tagore. It shocked me at first but now I see it is all very different from what I thought...It is politeness mingled with respect....No, I have never seen him set himself above others. I know he has his faults , but I believe the world outside has never yet been introduced to the greatness of the man.It is partly his fault, partly others."
Before receiving this letter Dorothy wrote in a letter dated 19.2.1921, about her changed opinion ;
" All your friends are fast becoming my friends and soon I shall be metaphysically brushing the dust from Tagore's feet and begging your pardon for ever having risen in rebellion...I am at last beginning to see it as the centre of which Tagore himself spoke, though at the time it seemed to my unenlightened eyes, merely fanciful." She also added that though she could not follow the meaning of "Gurudev" but she could understand the resonance of the word with its significance and she liked it,  though, a few  months back, she was unwilling to contribute to the fund of Viswa Bharati for " the wooliness of the poet's ideas and the phoney business of his dress and play acting.Now she requested Leonard to contribute as large amount as necessary for purchasing equipments and books for Sriniketan. Leonard cabled for sending  $ 25,000.00 which Dorothy obliged immediately.