Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rabindranath's visit to West and South India (contd-1)

On 23rd Sept. the went to Ladies University and Deccan College. In the evening a conference was arranged in their honour.
On24th Sept in the morning they joined a seminar at New Poona college on the subject, "Education". after this Rabindranath delivered a lecture in a public meeting at Kirloskar Theateron " Indian renaissance. He deeply criticized the then prevailing Education system destroying the fundamental elements.He also outlined his own idea of the ideal University, which had for his objects the constant pursuit of truth, showed the defects of the present system in contrast to his school. The meeting ended after the thanks given to the guests. Mrs. Levi accompanied them in this meeting.
Today they also went to a memorial   meeting of B.G.Tilak at Poona.     
(Lokmanya Tilak, born as Keshav Bal Gangadhar Tilak(23 July 1856 – 1 August 1920, age 64), was an Indian nationalist, teacher, social reformer, lawyer and independence fighter who was the first popular leader of the Indian Independence Movement. The British colonial authorities derogatorily called him "Father of the Indian unrest". He was also conferred with the honorary title of "Lokmanya", which literally means "Accepted by the people(as their leader)".
Tilak was one of the first and strongest advocates of "Swaraj"(self-rule) and a strong radical in Indian consciousness. His famous quote, "Swaraj is my birthright, and I shall have it!" is well-remembered in India even today.)
After the welcome address Rabindranath  " feelingly referred to Mr.Tilak and was almost in tears when he alluded to their mutual relations.". The lecture delivered by Rabindranath in this meeting was drafted from the page of "Raktakarabi" (p-105);
" The incident which brought me into personal touch with T [ilak], I have mentioned elsewhere was when he sent a messenger to me with Rs.50,000/- asking me to take a trip to Europe with the help of this money. At first I thought that he wanted to utilise my presence in Europe for some political purpose which he had  in mind and which was altogether outside my field of work. But my surprise was still still greater when I was assured that Tilak did not want my help for any propaganda which was his own, that he would be sorry if I followed the path which he himself was pursuing at that moment for the benefit of our country.  He wanted me to be true to myself and through my effort to serve humanity in my own way to serve India. I felt that this proposal from t carried with it the highest honour that I had ever received from my countrymen. I might not have been worthy of it that it revealed to me a greatness of T's personality which deeply impressed me. He had more faith in truth than in method. His idea of the fulfilment of India's destiny was vast and therefore it had ample room even for a "dreamer of dreams", even for a music maker. He knew that freedom had its diverse aspects and therefore it could truly be reached if individuals  had their full scope to use their speial gifts for opening out paths that were diverse in their directions. He was sure that " "Para darma bhayabaha'."
Rabindranath and his party left Poona and started for Bangalore.Andrews was  busy in Punjab to solve the problems of Akalis. He came to Poona on 23rd Sept and accpompanied Rabindranath.