Monday, June 18, 2012

Rabindranah Tagore and Indira Devi

Chowdhurani, Indira Devi (1873-1960) singer, writer, translator, daughter of satyendranath tagore and niece of rabindranath tagore, was born on 29 December 1873 at Bijapur in South India, her father's working place. Her mother, Jnanadanandini, was also very learned. Indira Devi was inspired by the ideas and ideals of Rabindranath. She was popularly known as 'Bibidi'
Rabindranath was greeted by Indira Devi in his 62nd birth day. In reply to her greetings Rabindranath wrote a long letter to her on 10. May,1922. ;
This time when I went to Selaidah, I saw that Padma had receded far away. Similarly, I find that my birth day has gone far away from your way of life.Frequently, I remember this.My connection with my family members has turned into a shadow. One reason is that those persons to whom I was connected in my childhood has been transferred - either to life beyond death or t o some other places. Now the building at Jorasanko is like the shore where there is no wave of the river. Moreover, I have some difference by nature from you . After all  my attachment to my family is not too much. If any one belongs to my so  called family, that doesn't mean, he is favorable to me.Those whom I love too much may not belong to my family. Many think him significant if he belongs to his family and he thinks him an important person in his family. But I don't think at all about Rathi in that manner.I am spending whatever money I had for Santiniketan , perhaps more than that. But when I see Rathi doesn't oppose rather he joins enthusiastically - I became very much glad. Though my attachment with family is not so strong still I don't want to love to spend my time in the company of the ordinary people - I can't say that my soul get its final attainment only in human being......."