Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rabindranath and Rothenstein -1922

Rabindranath Tagore dedicated his Nobel Prize winner poetry collection Gitanjali to William Rothenstein.
During their visit to Europe, Rabindranath had some difference of opinion on the point of formation a committee for smooth conduct of Viswa Bharati leading to separation even their communication through letters had been stopped. [vide post : May 12, 2012-the last few words of the post-The language of the reply of Rothenstein is also unpalatable;
" Indeed I am neither a believer in machines, nor an Inspector of Schools, nor an enemy of freedom, yet you write as though I were all those things. I think you mistake not myself only but your own self tooFor I believe you to be a poet, an inspirer of noble motives a friend to all the gallant tof life.I do not believe o be a man on & of affairs & I foresee y difficulties in your path if you take that dusty road . your letter does not change my forboding...But I realise that ie is an ignoble thing to be sober when one's fellow guests are intoxicated; it is an attitude above all others to me.You must admit you have taken full advantage of your jug of wine!....So my blessings on your pilgrimage . No more sensible words shall come from me o irk your spirit.You shall lay the foundation of your city with your desire , these will make mortar to hold the bricks & stones together."]
Rothenstein broke the ice and wrote to Rabindranath remembering the heated exchanges between the two on 1st June;
" But this scarcely seems a reason for the dropping of a friendship which was begun and continued, certainly with with great gain and happiness to myself and which you were used to assert was not altogether fruitless for yourself ."
Having received the letter, Rabindranath, too, replied on 13th July describing how his attempt for raising funds for Viswa Bharati had been foiled by the British authority;
" But all this is not to discuss the subject but to offer you an explanation  of my conduct. Now that is given it helps me to feel ashamed and sorry for having indulged in a fit fretfulness for so long and to resume the natural thread of our friendship too precious to be allowed to weaken for any cause whatever. The interruption in our relationship has been growing a burden to me and I am deeply grateful to you for being the first to break it."
Though they had started interchange of letters but they could not establish their previous warmth of their friendship.
Numerical analysis of friendship before and after 1922;
No. of exchanges of letters between Rabindranath and Rothenstein during 1911 to 19 22 ( 12 yrs)= 151
,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,    ,,   ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,   ,,  ,,  ,,                                          1923 to 1941 (19yrs) ==  50
The editor of their letters Mary M. Lago titled the bunch of letters as 'A Passing Breeze'