Friday, April 27, 2012

Rabindranath in England 4th time (contd-11) -1920

Rabindranath commented critically on the debate of Dyer activities in India in the letter written to Andrews on 22 July 1920;
" The result of the Dyer debates in both houses of Parliament makes painfully evident the attitude of mind of the ruling class of this country towards India. It shows that no outrage, however monstrous, committed  against us by agents of their Govt., can arouse feelings of indignation in the hearts of those from whom our governors are chosen. The unashamed condo nation of brutality expressed in thei speeches and echoed in their news papers is ugly in its frightfulness ....I feel that our appeal to your higher nature will meet with less and less response every day. I only hope that our country men will not loss heart at this, but employ all their energies in the service of their country in a spirit of indomitable courage and determination. The late events have conclusively proved that our true slvation lies in our own hand; that a nation's greatness can never find its foundation in half hearted concessions of contemptuous niggardliness .... the one path to it is the difficult path of suffering and self-sacrifice.All great boons only come to us through the power of the immortalspirit we have within us and that spirit only proves itself by its defiance of  
danger and loss."
On 20th july Rabindranath went to the flat of Sir Horace Plunket to discuss about co-operative. He invite Rabindranath to come to see his place at Ireland.
Rabindranath informed Yeats in reply to an invitation that it would not be possible for him to meet him this timne as he would going to visit diffrent countries of Europe.He wrote to Yeats on 19Th July;
"My time for leaving England is near and I have to be very busy these last few days before I start. This makes it impossible for me to avail your kind i vitation.  However, I am sending by mail a piece of Indian Silk to you as my gift of homage to your wife.'
This letter showed the mental distance that had been developed . Even  he did not congratulate Yeats on his winning of Nobel prize in 1925.The next letter he wrote to Yeats dated 4th Oct 1931.
He wrote to Fredrik Van Eeden ;
"I hope to get in touch with you as soon as i arrive in Holland. I shall go there from denmark which I intend to visit after I have been to Sweden and Norway.
I am interested in my educational experiments which are being carried on in Holland, and also in my attempts which are being made to introduce the co-operative movement amongst the peasants. I also hope to hear some account of Java and Bali which islands I am intending to visit on my back to India."
Rabindranath had gone to Holland but the other programme was cancelled due to some wrong guidance of Miss Charlotte Pearson, a German spy.           .