Friday, April 27, 2012

Rabindranath in England 4th time (contd-12) -1920

Before departing from England Rabindranath attended two programmes. On 28 July, he went to Wigmore Hall where five unpublished poetries of Rabindranath in dramatic form were staged by Union of East and West. . Rabindranath himself conducted the rehearsal of this performance. Pratima Devi and Rathindranath took the charge of dressing and painting the artists. There was no background scenery . Only a blue screen was hung up at the back of the stage. there were few tubs of flowers and two spot lights, there was no foot light. Sarojini Naidu narrated in nutshell of the theme of the poetry before staging it; rathindranath commented in his diary, "She spoke well, but her mannerism was unbearable . Her notions were vulgar beyond words.Before opening the screen Rabindranath recited the poem,"Janagana mana adhinayaka "
On 29th July at 8.15 pm Rabindranath read an essay " Some songs of the village Mystics in Bengal. Rathindranath wrote in his diary that there were heavy demands of tickets.
Wilfred Edward Salter Owen MC (18 March 1893 – 4 November 1918) was an English poet and soldier, one of the leading poets of the First World War. His shocking, realistic war poetry on the horrors of trenches and gas warfare was heavily influenced by his friend Siegfried Sassoon and stood in stark contrast to both the public perception of war at the time, and to the confidently patriotic verse written earlier by war poets such as Rupert Brooke. Among his best-known works — most of which were published posthumously — are "Dulce et Decorum Est", "Insensibility", "Anthem for Doomed Youth", "Futility" and "Strange Meeting". 
One of the anti-war poet of England Wilfred Owen was died one week before the war ended.His Mother Susan wrote to Rabindranath a letter on 1 Aug, 1920;
"Mahim"
Moukendor Rd
Shrewsbury
August 1, 1920.
Dear Sir Rabindranath,
I have been trying to find courage to write to you ever since I heard that you were in London - perhaps now you have left this country  - but the desire to tell you something is finding its way into this letter today.The letter may never reach you, for, I donot know how to address it. tho' I feel sure your name upon the envelope will be sufficient .It is nearly two years ago, that my dear eldest on, went out to the war for the last time and the day he said goodbye to mr -- we were looking together across the sun-glorified sea looking towards France, with breaking hearts -- when he, my poet son, said those wonderful words of yours -- beginning at " When i go from hence let this be my parting word". And when his pocket book came back to me -- I find these words written in his dear writing - with your name beneath Would it be asking too much of you, to tell me what book I should find the whole poem in?
(Susan Owen)
My precious boy was killed one week before the awful fighting was over - the news came to us , 0n Armistice day. A small book of my Son's war poems will be published very soon [ Anthem for doomed youth, 1921] - his heart was torn with sorrow- - at the suffering he saw "out there' and the callousness of the majority at home - the futility of war- he speaks not of his own sufferings but anyone  who loved him can tell from his poems, what he had passed through, to be able to write as he did - he was only 25. Wilfred loved all that was beautiful; his life was beautiful, and of great influence for good. Our God knew but when He took him "hence " - and I must not murmur for I know He is a God of Love and  would have answered my constant prayers - if to come back to me., would have been "best" . So I bow my head and go softly all my days till we meet again as w shall do in the Land our Saviour went to "prepare" for us. Forgive this longer letter than i intended to write when I began. I should like you to read my son's little book - if you will do us the honour [ Chatto and Windus are bringing it out in the autumn], if i may, I should be proud to send you a copy? With great respect and admiration
from the Mother
of Wilfred Owen Susan Owen
I have been reading lately the wonder experiences of Sadhu sundar Singh - he mentions you as a friend.
Rabindranath read the letter and replied immediately.