Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rathindranath and Santiniketan (contd-46)

Rathindranath got B.S. (B.Sc.) degree in agriculture and on this year (1909) he started for Europe. Rabindranath wrote Manoranjan Bandyopadhyay, on 26April (13 Baishakh);
"Yesterday, I sent him money for going to Europe. I want that he would go to France and then Germany and complete his study before coming to Calcutta."
Staying for some days in London (a letter written from London are kepr at Rabindrabhaban)Rathindranath went to Germany and studied in the Goettingen University there. On 9th Aug Rabindranath wrote Manoranjan;
"Today, I received a letter from Rathi. Now he is at Germany. he wanted money for coming back to his countryand and that has been sent."
He, again,  wrote him on 20 Aug ;
"Bela is writing a letter to Rathi at Bombay address and I asked her to intimate you too."
From the official record it was found that Rathi had come to Howrah station on 5th Sept. On the same day, Rabindranath went to Ballygunge accompanying Rathi and wrote to Nagendranath, his second son-in-law, "Rathi has come....He would be busy for some time to meet his relatives door to door. I have to think for his place of work.  I am, at present, busy with some domestic problems. After solving these problems I have to  settle a suitable job for Rathi and Sarat and then I may get some relief. I was waiting so long for this day to come."