Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rathindranath and Santiniketan (contd-45)

Rabindranath wrote to Manoranjan Bandyopadhyay on 24th April, 1909,
"Surely, the examination of Rathindranath was complete by this time.I have sent him the money of going to Europe last day. Let him finish his education first at France and then Germany and then he will come to India. I think he will come back  at the end of this year....
I am writing to you while three persons are waiting for me in three places. But the time has come when I shall go to Bolpur by a loop Train.  I am running short of time. I did not find any time earlier to write to you. Today is the high time to write to you or I shall miss it."
"Some girls arrived at Santiniketan. A school has grown up automatically for their education. You have done it yourself." Rabindranath wrote it to Manoranjan Babu on 31st Chaitra.He expressed his willingness to Rabindranath to get his daughter admitted in this school. At this Rabindranath replied, " the rules and regulations of this Girls' school is same as that of the school for boys  You decide the matter after coming over here. Kadambini Dutta proposed to appoint a young girl, naamed Indumati, of ordinary Brahmo Samaj as an worker in this Children Section. Rabindranath was also agreeable to some extent. But as he remarked ironically to the orthodox and communal attitude of ordinary Brahmo Samaj in his books Noukadubi and Gora, many members of that society was not satisfied with him. Probably they opposed the desire of Indumati. He informed Kadambini Dutta saying her not to request him farther and added that 6 girl-students were reading in this school  Some more students would be coming after the vacation.  The wife of Mohit Babu and another two women are going to take charge of this school. He wrote about him, My health is not going well. It is vacation in the school. It was decided that I should go to west with my daughter.but she was attacked with fever- I would not be able to start before her recovery.
But he himself fell ill when Mira recovered from her illness.