Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rabindranath purchsed a land for Rathin

On 12 July, Rabindranath wrote to Jagadananda Roy;
" Rathi has got an invitation from a famous scientist here to work with him. "
For this reason, when Rabindranath and Pratima went to the village of England (Oakridge Lynch), Rathi could not accompany them. He was busy in doing his research work at London. Rabindranth wrote Jagadanada Roy again;
" My earnest desire is Rathi should do research work in Science at Bolpur if he gets a suitable place and opportunity there. ..I don't want him to be pushed to the rotten papers of our zamindary  Estate. You please try to find some land there which we shall procure."
Rabindranath came to learn while he was in London that Zamindar of Raipur wanted to sell his Kuthibadi with land at Surul..
Lt.Col. Dr. Narendra Prasanna Sinha was then at London. He wrote to Rabindranath on enquiry on 24th Sept. ;
" My Respected Sir/ I wanted to sell it to Dwipu Babu with a price of Rs.11 thousand only. He offered me Rs.8 thousand. I could not sell. But now you have kindly consented  to purchase it to do some beneficial work, I can sell you for Rs. 8 thousand only. I wouldn't have asked for money, but I want do some work at Raipur which will  require huge amount of money. It is because of that I am asking for money."
He again wrote on 26th Sept.;
"  I received your letter yesterday, and became glad to know that you are willing to purchase the house for Rs. 8 thousand only. You need not pay in cash at present.  For legal formalities, I shall consult with my brother (Satyendra Prasad). I'm going to meet him today to finalise the issue."
He wrote again on 13th Oct;
" If you want to purchase it just now and will start your construction then we, two brothers, will sign the deed of conveyance and Satya will do the needful on going there. You have to issue a hand note and pay at your convenience."
Being agreed on this condition, Rabindranath issued a hand note on 16th Oct. and informed    Santosh Chandra Majumdar on the next day;
" Yesterday I purchased the land at Surul from Lt. Col.Sinha of Raipur, at London. This house and land I require for the research work of Rathi. You will get possession  after getting this letter.I think that you will get your accommodation with your family hence forth." He gave him permission to shift his dairy there and wrote;
"It is a matter of huge mount of money for establishing a suitable laboratory for Rathin but at present I shall be happy if Rathi gets a service in your school. This adventure I have done for future."