Saturday, October 22, 2011

Rabindranath in London

Some whereabouts of Rabindranath were obtained from the dairy of  Devaprasad Sarbadhikari;
Sunday, 21 July 1912 (5 Shraban) - I went to meet  Mrs P.K.Roy (Sarala Roy) at her house. Many persons came to her residence on that day. There I met Sri Rabindranath Tagore, Mr. Powell . Rothenstein, Yeats etc a few Englishmen, sympathisers of Rabindranath, wanted to translate and publish his poems . In some places these poems were being read. One or two places I too was invited .
Friday, 26 July 1912 ( 10 Shraban) :- I went as an invitee to Belsize Park, Park Hill Road, the house of Barrister B. Dube  ( Pandit Bhagabandin Dube) to attend  lunch. Rabindranath and his son also were invited there.They wanted to go to Durbyshire and Boxton to take some mineral water as a medicinal dose for treatment of Rheumatism of Rabindranath. After  lunch Miss Smith (London correspondent of Amrita Bazar Patrika} and others arrived there. We had many discussions there. The guest Mrs. Despard made everybody absorbed in the debate. Her status was high and she was gorgeous. She was under custody for suffragette disturbance and following the same route she was to be arrested again.
The Indian friends of Rabindranath were returning back to their home from the month of August after finishing their lesson.Mr. A.G. Weld invited Rabidranath on 22 July to stay for few days in his house at Oxford. He wrote ;
My great friend Pramatha Lal Sen tells me you are coming to Oxford. Will you please tell me what date you come, where will you be staying  -- that I may introduce you to our Prof. of Poetry, who is also the President of Magdalen College where the Prince of Wales is to be, its the niece of .....I am very anxious to make the acquaintance in your person, an  India's greatest poet."
In the mean time the period six months, the tenure for which the rent was taken, was over when Reverend Andrews invited Rabindranath to stay in a  house of one of his Missionary-friend. He wrote;
" I told him of a personal friend of my own who was living in the beautiful, unspoilt English country, miles away from any town  or railway station, and asked him to come with me and stay there. I spoke of my friend's little children who would welcome him and the simple villagers of the countryside such as Wordsworth loved. His eyes lighted up, and he promised me to came and remain through the whole month of August."
Before meeting him Andrews was moved at the genius Rabindranth possessed. He went to see Rabindranath on 6th July when he learnt that he had come to London. But he could not meet him as he was not at his house at that moment. He met Rabindranath on the next day at Rothenstein's house. Describing his first meeting with Rabindranath he wrote;
" After dinner we went to Mr. Rothenstein's house  and our names were announced. The next miment I was aware of a slender figure passing rapidly across the room towards me...I would like to have made obeisance to the poet, who has so raised his nation by his songs, but in a   moment he had clasped my hand and said to me, _ ' Oh! Mr. Andrews I have so long to see you, I cannot tell you how I have longed to see you, and yesterday, when I found you had called and I had missed you. I hardly knew what to do. I felt as if I must run all the way to where you are staying, and tell you how sorry I was to be out when you called .I happened to be trying over some Bengali music with an English friend, who was deeply interested in my country, and I was not aware that the time had flown past so quickly.
Rabindranath was also accustomed with the writings of Andrews published in Modern Review since 1907 and wrote about the villages of England in his book " Englonder Palligram O Padri". He expressed his views by writing, "after coming over here I met a Christian Missionary who was more a Christian than a Missionary."