Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rabindranath back to London from Cambridge

Rabindranath continued translating his poems into English even after coming to London from Cambridge. He translated three poems about death on this date. Having learnt the news of the death of Rothenstein's mother, he sent one of them to him with the following words;
"You know my heart is with you in your pesent trial. I do not know what made me sit down to trsnslate three of my poems, all on the subject of death, Directly I came back from Cambridge yesterday. It seems to me that the sympathetic chords of heart are touched at some unseen communication . I feel I must send you the first one of those translation -- the original of which sprang from a direct experience of death."
This poem was the 5th one  belonging  to the series of Smaran written after the death of Mrinalini, the translation of " Amar Gharete aar nei se je nei" -- "In desperate hope I go and search her in all corners of room"( Gitanjali-no. 87) . The other two poems were, " Pathaile aaji Mrityur dut" ( Naibedya-no. 18th), and "Ekdin ei dekha hoye jabe sesh"( Durlava Janmaa, Chaitali). Those poems earmarked as 86th and 92nd in the collection of Gitanjali.
Rothenstein wrote Yeats a letter congratulating him for his lecture as a president at the dinner of Trocadero Restaurant and added " we must arrange to meet one day next week to go over the poems . Will you lunch & then sit;  & work aftewards ?"
Yeats wrote Rabindranath on 17th July, from his residence at 18 Woburn Bildings, Upper Woburn Place,
"Will you lunch with me at one to-morrow at the Hotel Gunlia, Upper Woburn Place, the Hotel we dined the other day ? We can come in here afterwards and go through the mss (manuscripts) or Monday (22nd July) night ". He  further added, "I am afraid there has been some misunderstanding, as to the day on which I was to go through the translations with you.... I am sorry that I cannot get free to-morrow. Are you free Thursday ? If not, Saturday would suit me. I am looking forward greatly to talking over the poems with you. I am still reading them continually." and again wrote on Tuesday (23rd July), "I will come Tuesday as our next please. Many thanks for further Mss."
The letters probably were written at the end of July because Rabindranath wrote a letter to Ajit Kumar on 2nd Aug before going to the village Batarton of Stafordshire,
"Yeats  have gone to Normandy with those manuscripts. He will write an introduction of the collection and then it will be sent for printing by India Society."
  Prasanta Kumar Paul wrote in his book, "Rabijibani", 'so, Yeats would have met Rabindranath between 15th July and 18th July'  to finalise the manuscript of Gitanjali sitting together.
Rabindranath wrote Kshiti Mohan on 28th Jun about the primary notion of Yeats on his poems, " If any body says that he could improve them more, he does not know anything about literature."
The editting of Gitanjali was started after the decision taken by India Society to publish it. Yeats did not directly edited the manuscript of Gitanjali. He simply suggested some points and Rabindranath did the correction on a typed copy of Gitanjali. This was evident from the letter written by Rabindranth to Rothenstein on 4th April, 1915;
" I think Yeats  was sparing in his suggestions -- moreover, I was with him During the revision ...Though you have the first draft of my translations with you I have unfortunately allowed  the revised typed pages to get lost in which Yeats pencilled his corrections. "