Sunday, October 2, 2011

3rd Foreign tour of Rabindranath ( contd-5)

(William's two brothers, Charles and Albert, were also heavily involved in the arts. Charles (1866–1927), who followed his father into the wool trade, was an important collector - and left his entire collection to the Manchester City Art Gallery in 1925. Albert (1881–1953) was a painter, illustrator and costume designer. Both brothers changed their surname to Rutherston during the First World War.)   Having reached London Rabindranath and his party got Bloomsbury Hotel. Rathindranath wrote, "After reaching Chairing Station we came to understand that our travelliong agent, Thomas Cook & amp; Sons had arranged accomodation for us in Bloomsbury Hotel and booked for few rooms. We started for Bloomsbury from the station in the  tube-rail. This was my first journey in an underground train. For my excitement of new experiences or for  more safety I was carrying the attache containg my father;s manuscript of Gitanjali. But while coming out from station I forgot to bring the attache with me. That was kept in the compartment. My father's translated manuscripts and some other important documents were inside the attache case .But the mistake didnot come to my notice at that moment.On the next day my father wrote a letter to Dr. Dwijendranath Moitra;
' We got a shelter in a Hotel after reaching London.We had to search for a rented house. Because we don't prefer to stay in hotel for long. I am thiking of going to some healthy and beautiful place at Wales where we shall stay for some time.If I can undergo some treatment my body will be fit for more happy journey. At first I have to go through the undergroung train to find out whereabouts of Rothenstein."
The mastake of missing the attache, containing the manuscript,  done by him yesterday came to his notice. Rathindranath wrote;
"On the next day while going to the house of Rothenstein my father sked me about his attache case, I discovered that I had left that in the tube-rail. One can imagine my mental condition. With my heavy heart I, at once ,went to the department of Lost Property of the tube-rail . Thanks god, I got the lost attache case there . I can't explaing the relief I got to see it again. I shall never forget . "                                        

Sir William Rothenstein, photo by George Charles Beresford, 1920
Rabindranath Tagore dedicated his Nobel Prize winner poetry collection Gitanjali to William Rothenstein.