Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rabindranath and Cambridge

Russell had a distinguished background: His grandfather Lord John Russell introduced the Reform Bill of 1832 and was twice prime minister; his parents were both prominent free thinkers; and his informal godfather was John Stuart Mill. Orphaned as a small child, Russell was reared by his paternal grandmother under stern puritanic rule. That experience powerfully affected his thinking on matters of morality and education. Russell studied at Trinity College, Cambridge (1890-94), where later he was a fellow (1895-1901) and a lecturer (1910-16). It was during this time that he published his most important works in philosophy and mathematics, The Principles of Mathematics (1903) and, with A. N. Whitehead, Principia Mathematica (3 vol., 1910-13), and also had as his student Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rathindranath wrote about their first meeting in London;
"Russel told that he came straight to London from Cambridge , just to see my father. Without any pretention he asked my father directly, "Hallo, Tagore! In your opinion which is beautiful ?" But the answer is not so easy to reply so quickly.Remaining silent for some time, Rabindranath answered slowly and explained his idea about aesthetics. Russel took  my father's explanation granted, was difficult to say. Ofcourse, he remained silent so long my father was answerisng the question and when it was finished, he left the place immediately as he had come like a storm."
Prasanta Kumar Paul, writer of "Rabijibani" remarked that the statement   is not correct.
Russel wrote Rothenstein on 16th August,
"I was much interested to meet an Indian poet,  and very anxious to hear all he had to say -- I didn't quite realize he was a very dear friend of yours or I wd have spoken of you to him."
Probably, Russel came to London at the end of July to meet Rabindranath..
Some correspondence between Rabindranath and Russel in Oct-Nov  interchanging their thoughts were kept in Rabindrabhavan.
In Cambridge Rabindranath's days were not busy, but those who had come to see him became too much overwhelmed. Among them were Wife of Francis Cornford, Grand daughter of Charle's Darwin etc. Francis Darwin Cornford wrote Rothenstein on 15th July;
" I must write and tell you both what wonderful thing it has been to see Tagore ..he is like a saint, and the beauty and dignity of his whole being is wonderful to remember ... and make me feel that we in the west hardly know what real gentleness and tenderness are..I can now imagine a powerful and gentle Christ, which I could never before."
On the same day Anderson wrote him,
" The poet's quite dignity and modesty are very delightful, and it is easy to see why he has such extraordinary influence over the rising generationin of Bengal.I am very grateful to you for having given me the chance of making the acquaintance of so distinguished and attractive being."
Anderson also wrote Rabindranath;
"Please believe that it was a very great pride and pleasure to meet you at King's College yesterday..I am very sorry my rheumatic old back compelled me to run away early, and prevented me from getting the full advantage of a great opportunity."
Anderson continued this correspondence with Rabindranath till his death (1920).
    Pearson was also in Cambridge at that time. After coming back to Calcutta he went to Oxford mission hostel and met the ex-students of Brahmacharyyasram there and wrote Rabindranath about this meeting on 17th Dec,
"Sudhir (Sudhiranjan Das) at me request sang the song you sang to us at Cambridge which begins with " Jibane jata Puja " . He has a very sweet voice and the song moved me deeply as I remembered the scene at Cambridge.
Rabindranath came back from Cambridge to London on 15th July ( Mon 3 Asharh).