Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rabindranath and Calcutta University

The acting Register J.C. Chatterjee wrote  a letter to Rabindranath ;
I am directed by the Vice-Chacellor and Syndicate to inform you that on the recommendation of the Executive Committee of the Council of Post Graduate teaching in Arts, which has been adopted by the Senate, you have been appointed a University Reader to   in Arts, to deliver a course of lectures on Sahitya, on an honorarium of Rs. 2000/- . Probably this was being discussed since long. A letter was available in this regard written by Rabindranath on 5th July to Ashutosh Mukhopadhyay.
"I have been requested to deliver lecture in the classes of Calcutta University, i am also agreeable to that.But the honorarium fixed for me is not acceptable to me. I have also delivered lectures in foreign University and I donot want to place my demand mentioning the honorarium I have received in those Universities. But if I see any difference of the honorarium you have offered to others, I shall not feel encouraged to take this responsibility.I request you to rethink the issue and fix an honorarium which befits my prestige. "
The objection, perhaps, was first raised by Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis. on 3rd July in a letter written to Rabindranath;
" Ashu babu wanted 6 lectures on a payment of Rs.2000/- which he  himself will publish them. Nothing can be so  ridiculous because Abani Babu gets 6000/- for 6 lectures". It was expected that the prestige of Rabindranath was assured and Rabindranath delivered lectures for three days in the Senate Hall and those lectures were published in the magazine "Bangabani" run by Mukherjee family.