Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rabindranath Tagore to China - 1924 (contd-5)

The Communist Party of China was established in 1921. But the intellectuals and the young generation came across with the English translation just after its publication i.e. in 1913 and the Chinese translation of the English version was started in 1915 and  within 1922, most of Rabindranath's lyrics, drama, novel, essays were translated - in some cases more than once. Rabindranath's writings had extended influence on Chinese literature specially on poems.  Sisir Kumar Das and Taan Oen in their book " Bitarkita Atithi" had discussed thoroughly about these translations and influence of Tagore on those translations.
But from the end of nineteenth century the Marxian thought and its programme of action had spread throughout China in such a way that no other ideas and thoughts were not acceptable to them and other thoughts and ideas were reproachable . The same thing happened in the case of Rabinderanath. Those who were in favour of Rabindranath's writings, began to condeemn after getting Marxian thoughts.
The report Elmhirst supplied in this country after coming from China explained fully so that the socio-political situation made Rabindranath hesitant in writing lecture notes for China. This hesitation was expressed in the letter written by Rabindranath to Romand Rollaind;
"...I myself have a kind of civil war constantly going on in my own nature between my personality at a creative artist who necessarily must be solitary and that as an idealist who must realise himself through works of a complex character needing a large field of collaboration with a large body of men....I suppose a proper rhythm is possible to be attained in which both may be harmonised, and my work in the heart of the crowd may find its grace through the touch of breath that comes from the solitude of the creative mind...I earnestly hope that I shall be rescued in time before I die. In the mean time I go to China, in what capacity I donot know. Is it as a poet, or as a bearer of good advice and sound common sense ?"