Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rabindranath and Calcutta University

The acting Register of Calcutta University invited Rabindranath in a letter dated 22 Sept 1923, to accept the post of readership  and deliver some lectures on "literature" with an honorarium  of Rs 2000/- only. In reply to this invitation Rabindranath wrote to Shyamaprasad Mukhopadhyay on 13 Feb 1924; " I could not find any time to write my lecture note for Calcutta University and it is sure I shall not find any time in near future. But since I am bound to do it by  my promise, I should not neglect my duty. Any way, if it is not against the present convention I shall take classes orally before I go for China.But I have to take leave befor ethe middle of March, 1924. I must go to preside over a meeting organised by Dr. Gopal Chatterjee . If you can manage to come to me, we can discuss more. I also like to call on your father before  I visit to China - how it be materialised , we can discuss."  !st, 2nd, and 3rd March, 1924 Rabindranath delivered three lectures orally, as per the previous promise. The lecture notes were taken down, edited and titled as " Literature", "Truth and theories" and "Creation"
 published in "Sahityer Pathe"