Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rabindranath in "Bostami"(short story), written by him.

Rabindranath wrote to Pramatha Choudhury from Ramgarh on 5th June;
"In the arena of literature my days have come to an end. I have written many words, right or wrong. Those words are now being filtered through the screen of the time. I don't want to create more rubbish. Now, it makes me awake, day and night, how I may attain  completeness in my life. All my success, my fame have become so insignificant that all the worldly demand could not touch my heart." This state of mind was expressed by  Rabindranath  in his story "Boshtami". These ideas were imbued in the characters of "Boshtami" and "Anandi". The basis of the reality of the characters of Anandi called Anandi as "Sarbakshepi". This is supported by the essays of Rabindranath ;
"  I remember the morning when a beggar whom  an in a Bengal village gathered  in the loose end of her Sari the stale flowers that were about to be thrown away from the vase on my table ; " Oh, Beloved of my Heart!" Her eyes could easily pierce the veil of the outward form and reach the realm of the infinite in these flowers, where she found the infinite touch of her Beloved, the great, the universal Human."
Rabindranath was always concerned about his school at Santiniketan whether he remained within or outside it. But he remained outside the school for the benefit of the school. He always wanted to develop power within oneself whether it was a school or a human being - mighty be a student or a teacher.But the problem was when he remained within the school , everyone would depend on his advice and instructions which he did not like. Not only for imposing discipline amongst the students but also to solve the inner problems of the professors, there was Principal's Council..  But when Rabindranath remained present within the School, he had to take responsibility of solving them.They used to quarrel each other - moreover, they became  involved  in a competition of being close to him.
He wrote to Ajit Kumar Chakraborty on 7 Mar 1908,
"Discipline within the school should come spontaneously but it was not becoming so due to the obstruction of the presence of his personality  in the school. The reasons of the weaknesses of the school were due  both to the school and to himself. If the theories required to develop the school would evolve within the school, all the weaknesses of the school would be removed. What is my opinion, what I shall say, what I want-all these questions  have apparently become like a disease in the decision of all the matters in the school.You could not follow which work of the school are done by you and which one by me are the reasons for you not to be able to do the work of the school unitedly. When you will feel that the school is yours, you will be able to do justice to the school.
"For this reason h e wrote to Andrews on 15th Nov. ;
It is wicked of me to be away when you are returning to the Asram after your illness; but I feel that you will have a better opportunity of coming closer to the boys and teachers if I am not there, and that will compensate you for my absence."