Monday, December 26, 2011

Rabindranath again at Silaidah

Rabindranath could not attend the memorial event of Maharshi Devendranath due to his extreme tiredness and determined to go to Silaidah for a change in natural environment. He also wrote to Andrews on 29th Jan,1915; "I don't like to frighten you with news of ill-health, but it must be given to justify my absence from the Asram. I feel that I am on the brink of a breakdown. I must take a flight to the solitude of the river Padma leaving Rathi and Bouma to make arrangements for our departure. I need rest and the nursing of nature."
Andrews was also sick. On 31st Jan. Rabindranath wrote," I hear that you are really ill.This is won't do  Come to Calcutta. Consult some Doctor;    and if he recommends, come to Silaidah, where I am going to-morrow morning . I dare not go to Bolpur. I have reached such a sublime depth of tiredness."
Rabindranath started for Silaidah on 1st Feb, 1915 and on reaching there he wrote to Rathindranath on the next day, " As soon as I have reached Silaidah my extreme tiredness and and mental fatigueness  disappeared.. I am feeling better which I didn't feel for long time. I was going throughout the world in search of this but I have forgotten that my satisfaction remained at my door. "
Rabindranath emphasized the statement of the  letter written to Rathindranath and expressed the same in the letter written to Andrews;
" Directly I reached here, I came to myself, and now healed. The cure for all these illness of life is stored in the inner depth of life itself, the  access to which becomes possible when we are alone. This solitude is a world in itself, full of wonders and resources unthought of. It is so absurdly near, yet so unapproachable     
distant." Andrews also went Silaidah on 5th Feb, 1915. Rabindranath wrote to his son ;
" Andrews arrived here like a storm and went away with the same speed."
Rabindranath wrote 12 poems in .Silaidah in 5 days.
On 7th Feb., he wrote a poem, " Pakhire diyecho gaan, gaay sei gaan" (published in Bharati - Chaitra issue, 1322). While explaining the poem, later on, Rabimdranth said;
" One day a poor woman was going by the side of the river on foot. She was taking with her a few children. The elder one was carrying a load on his head. The junior to him was carrying a bag in his hand. Two others small children was walking slowly by their side. The smallest one is on her lap". My mind was thinking heavily on that day. Suddenly it came to my mind - this is my pride that I am carrying the load of agony. God gives much load on the head of the elder son and take in her lap the smallest one. "The human being expect much from his elder child, and less from the younger one."
Rabindranath left Silaidah on 12th Feb.