Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rabindranath and Religion

An essay , titled "Christodharma,"  written by Rabindranath about his prayer on the day of 25th Dec 1914 (10th Paush), the birth day of Christ, in the temple of Santiniketan, was published in the magazine "Sabuj Patra". The glory of Christianity was perceived by Rabindranath after being introduced with the persons like Andrews and Stopford Brook but during his return journey to India, the behaviour of two Christian Missionaries in  the ship had hurt him. He also knew the activities of the Christian Missionaries in India.In the introduction of the Essay " Christadharma" he explained this bitterness:
" When I see that the Christians are boasting of their religion, it becomes evident they are mixing some impurity in their religion which is their own made. For this reason when they  come to help us, we hesitate to accept blessings from them  because self-consciousness grows against their vanity and if the pride prevents one to accept any gift, it is not   unworthy."
Of course, he knew  that the communal feeling is not  its monopoly. The small sect of  Adi-Brahmo Samaj is not also  free from  this evil.( vide the essay "Adi-Brahmo Samajer Bedi"). He also said;
" Now it is the duty of human being to save the Christ from the hands of communal Christians, to save Bishnu  hands of Communal Vaishnabs, to save Brahma from the hands of Communal Brahmos, In our Asram we shall not contradict the truth in rage with our sect. We shall try to understand the meaning of Christianity- not because it is the religion of Christians but because  it is the religion of Human being."
The Biographer of Rabindranath found his indifferent state of mind in this poem.
Andrews wrote on 15 Dec, "I can see so clearly now....how I should have done injury to your love for me also if you had not been so firm and true and patient and gentle with me and what you really wanted from me. for now I see that you were really asking all all the while for something far deeper and truer and more manly from me than the weak, emotional, and almost selfish love which I was offering."
In reply to this letter, Rabindranth wrote on 18th Dec from Allahabad;
"I do not know how to heal the hurts that painfully surprise my friends when in their intercourse with me they stumble against fences that can never be removed. Surely you know by this time that I have something elusive in me, which eludes myself not less than others. Because of this in my nature, I have to keep my environments free and open, fully to make room in my life for the undreamt-of who is expected every moment. Believe me , I have strong human sympathy, yet I can never enter into such relations with others as many impede the current of my life,  which flows through the darkness of solitude beyond my ken. I can love, but I have not that which is termed by phrenologists "adhesiveness", or to be more accurate, I have a force acting in me, jealous of all attachments, a force that tries to win me for itself, for its own hidden purpose."
On 27th Dec Rabindranath translated his speech on Jesus Christ. 
On 29th Dec. Rabindranath wrote to Rothensteion;
" I send you the translation of a poem of mine suggestd by the letter I got from Rachel. It gave me the right perspective and I saw all the simple things of the world in their proper significance inspite of the din and smoke of this terrible war."