Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rabindranath Tagore and victoria Ocampo (contd-3) and his adopted grand daughter

Rabindranath Tagore wrote to Victoria Ocampo in his first letter that he needed love from female side to remove loneliness in his solitary  life.. But  that was not like  other male members mixed up with sexual urge and not with a dull meaning. This love was inspiring and infused with gracefulness. If any female thought of eclipsing him completely with his love, his unbounded self at once wanted to get rid of her. The love of Ranu from very childhood upto her adolescent period wanted to eclipse him  inspite of his attempt to make her free which had  many signs in their correspondence . The love of Victoria with Rabindranath Tasgore should be judged in that light.
Rabindranath wrote a poem "Tritiya" on Dec, 1924, addressing his granddaughter (adopted) aged about 3, named Nandini and wrote a letter on the same date to his daughter-in-law Pratima  .in this context;
" I got the letter of Pupe. I could follow its inner meaning as because you have explained it. But the inner meaning is  not its real meaning, that is not correct. Her writings donot indicate any meaning as her dance does.You know that I am also intetested in such scratches. For that reason I am going to write the reply of her letter in a right manner.The  host with whom they are remaining as guest have seen the letter by chance and became astonished. Lest the letter becomes spoilt by folding, he  has gone to bring an envelope.I shall send the letter when the envelope comes. But it requires some explanation. At first I wrote all her pet names on the paper, Pupe, Pupu, Pupsi, Madam Pavlova, the second, Rupasi, Urbashi,Rambha, Menaka, Tilottama etc etc. Then I began to camouflage  the incorrect portion of it as I do in my poems by scratches. The meaning of this is that the pet names are all wrong. I am trying to remove all such things . i have discussed something more in my poetry which I shall  send it to you."  
On the next day, he copied the whole poetry and send it to Mira.You shall come to understand how much intimate relation I have developed with Pupe, may be known from the poetry written below. The whole story cannot be told in prose."