Thursday, June 30, 2011

Santiniketan (contd-25)

Wherever he did stay, Rabindranath was always concerned about his school. When he was taking rest in Muzaffarpur he wrote one letter to Ajit Kumar Chakraborty and four letters to Mohit Chandra Sen. In all the letters the matter relating to school got the priority. Ajit Kumar filled up the vacancy created after the death  of Satish Chandra in the school.He was also  of sacrificing nature like Satish Chandra and took the responsibility of the school with the same mentality. Rabindranath also liked such devoted persons in his school. But he had some hesitations about them which he expressed in the letter written to Ajit Kumar on 26th June, 1904,
Almost everytime I think that I've engaged you in a very difficult job.Could I be able to provide food for them to perform this difficult job? I'm afraid that you might be hungry while doing this work.  From where you are getting your inspiration ? Is it from its ideals, or from the affectionate relation that we have or from your natural sacrificing nature in your vigprous youth ? Was the amount sufficient that I can spent for you ? I myself am trying to secure energy from my innerself. I advice you to settle down your life where you can get pure source of energy. We all have the same destination.Sacrifice is the only way, sacrifice is the only motto - that is the way, that is the source and that is the goal. Don't look  to other direction like a begger. If you remain satisfied with the amount we can give you , then you can achieve the actual thing. Otherwise, you will become frustrated within a few days.
Ajit Kumar too did not live long. though he got some time more than Satish did. The literary work, the literary atmosphere he created made Rabindranath obliged.