Monday, June 20, 2011

Santiniketan (contd-17)

After a short Puja vacation, the ropened again on 12th Oct.,1903. Mrs. Abala Basu, wife of Jagadish Chandra Basu, invited Rabindranath to come Darjeeling for recovery of his health. In reply he wrote that the school had reopened this day and he would be busy in his work. So long there were a few students in the school and he used to teach them. The vacant seats would befilled again. He would take his rest after doing his work and that was his only medicine. He also informed her about Arabindomohan (son of Jagadish Chadra) to make her freefrom tension. He again brought Subodh Chandra Majumdar, headmaster of Delhi School, to Santiniketan. He was a very good twacher in English.
He also wrote to Abala Basu that he made good of the section became disorder in his absence. In his absence many teachers were appointed and now he would judge abou their capability. he was not satisfied with all of them. He wrote Mohit Chandra that he had dismissed Gopal Babu. No need to issue another advettisement as it was not fruitful.
Even to Satish Chandra it was not possible to remain steady in scrificing mood which he wrote in a few letters to his friend Ajit Kumar Chakraborty. Rabindranath said that Satish Chandra refused to accept salary. But he siad,
I do not know if all our teachers are going to be paid a monthly salaryin advance or no.Will it be possible for me to go in the B.A ? Rs. 60/- or 70/-?but that's a big sum?Who will help me through that?- I am so poor. Let me get up my books however and watch the course of things. Will I be able to sit in the examination as a teacher? How long before the examination one had to send the examination fees? How I can get English text books? If you come during Christmas I shall be able to read 2/3 books. I have decided not to take honours, if possible i shall try after finishing the syllabus for pass course.I 'm facing trouble to fo through the books for B.A. exam. Still I shall not give it up.
In another letter he wrote ,
All are well here, stiill my mind becomes saddened.I have no close friend here - I simply loiter in the streets of Bolpur. I feel something heavy on lying in my heart. I feel relieved when talk to Rabi Babu, but he is too much busy now.
Many persons came to Santiniketan due to the attraction of Rabindranath but  when one saw some gap he left the place. Perhaps Satish chandra, too, follow  the same path if he did not expire.   
The school was running in economic stringency since its birth.. He wrote Dinesh ch. Sen,
I'm deeply absorbed in the accounts of he School. The school and some senior students were waiting for clouds carrying water particles.