Saturday, January 14, 2012

Robert Bridges and Rabindranath (contd-4)

After receiving the letter dated 31.8.2015 from Yeats, Rabindranath had no other alternative than to write to Macmillan;
" I am just in receipt of a letter from Yeats, strongly recommending me to allow Dr. Bridges to use in his anthology the Gitanjali poem with the alterations. As I feeI cannot refuse Yeats . I shall be happy if you see your way to granting his request and send your permission to Dr. Bridges."
Rabindranath had allowed Bridges to use, as per his request, one poem from Gitanjali, but on the basis of this allowance he used another two poems from Gitanjali and nine instead of eight poems of Kabir in his anthology and edited them outright before his publication in 1916.About Kabir he wrote in his footnote ;
"I thank Messrs. Macmillan for permission to use this book, with liberty to make the slight changes which for the sake of diction or rhythm I wished ro introduce. No changes was made without reference to the original, of which there was fortunately a copy in private hands in Oxford: the text not being accessible in the British Museum or Bodleian  Libraries."
He wrote about no.67 and other poems of Gitanjali,
" These are his own prose translations into English of his original Bengali poems. I have to thank him and his English publisher for allowing me to quote from his book, and in the particular instance of this very beautiful poem, for the author's friendliness in permitting me to shift a few words for the sake of what I considered more effective in rhythm and grammar."
He expressed his gratitude to Suhrawardi also in the context of translation of the poems of Baba Taheer.
(Baba Tahir, (var. Baba Taher, in Persian: بابا طاهر) was an 11th century poet in Persian literature and mystic.He wrote poems in the Pahlavi Persian language.)
" In all my Oriental quotations I owe everything to my friend Hasan Sahid Suhrawardy for putting his taste and wide learning at my  disposal. The choice of this and of some other pieces is due to him, and I worked on his admirable English translations under his guidance, having myself no knowledge of any oriental language."
The story did not end here.