Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rabindranath again at Silaidah (contd-1)

After coming at Silaidah Rabindranath became sorry to see the disaster of his tenants. At this context he met the tenants after many days. He had already formed Hitaishi Mandali (Welfare Society) of the farmers of Berhampore and Kaligram Pargana. He deposited in Rural bank the major amount of the money received from his Nobel prize  for the benefit  of the poor farmers. He had no link directly with these people for many days. He got the opportunity after coming at Silaidah and wrote to Andrews on 23rd July,
" After long years I have come among my tenants ; and I feel, and they also, that my presence was needed. It was a great event of my life when I first dwelt among my own people here, for thus I came into contact with the reality of life.For in them you feel the barest touch of humanity...I must confess that I have been neglecting these people, while I was away from them in Santiniketan, and I am glad that I am now with them once more so that I may be more actively mindful in their vsctivities. My life at the Asram was at last making me into a teacher, which was unsatisfactory for me, because unnatural . But one has to be a helper to be real man ; for then you share your life with your fellow-beings and not merely your ideas."
While he was living at Silaidah, he was eager to apply scientific knowledge in farming. Afterwards he sent his son Rathindra and son-in-law Nagendra to America for learning  Agricultural Science so as to apply it in farming here. He knew the application of science in farming.
" We all hope that here, at this very point, Science in the end will help man.She will make the necessities of life easily accessible to every man, so that humanity will be freed from tyranny of matter which now humiliates her."
A few days ago he gave a speech in in the meeting of Hitasadhan Mandali asking the youth to serve for the welfare of the villages.After some time some youth namely, Atul Chandra Sen, Upendra Bhadra and Bisweswar Basu gave a response to his call. He once again jumped into the field of work.