Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rabindranath won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913 (contd-1)

The address of Rabindranath Tagore was not known to the authority of Swedish Academy and ,therefore, they informed Tagore the news officially from London through Macmillan on 14th Nov in the following lines;
XF PH LONDON PO 14 EASTN LN19 RABINDRANATH TAGORE 6 DN TAGORE?LANE JORASANKO CALCUTTA
SWEDISH ACADEMY AWARDED YOU NOBEL PRIZE LITERATURE PLEASE WIRE ACCEPTATION SWEDISH MINISTER
CALCUTTA/15 NO 13/GPO on receiving the above  telegram,  the son-in-law Nagendra informed the news to Rabindranath at Santiniketan by wire on 16 Nov,  in the morning 7-10 AM ;
"Following cable received midnight Swedish academy awarded you Nobel prize for literature please wire acceptation swidish minister = nagen=
The news was first published in the evening-paper Empire ;
GREAT HONOUR FOR?TAGORE?NOBEL PRIZE CONFERRED./"LARGEST CONTRIBUTION TO/THE COMMON GOOD"/(REUTER'S SERVICE)/LONDON, THURSDAY.
The Nobel Prize for literature has/been conferred on the Indian poet, Rabindranath Tagore.
The paper also described the "History of the Nobel Prizes" and endorsed the names of winners from 1901 to 1913 i.e., the 14 names, winners of Nobel Prize for literature.
Having the above news in the paper, the lovers of Tagore sent separately enumerable telegrams to Bolpur, the first of which was ;
Handed in at Calcutta 14 16 10 Recd. here at 16.43 
Rabindranath Tagore/Santimniketan/Bolpu
Nobel prize conferred on you our congratulations
= manilal satyendra charu
i.e., Manilal Gangopadhyaya, Satyendranath Dutta, and Charuchandra Bandyopadhyay sent the telegram at 4.10 PM from Calcutta which reached Bolpur Post Office at 4.43 PM.
On 26th may, 1921, Rabindranath himself said in his Nobel-lecture delivered at Stockholm of Sweden;
" I remember the afternoon when I received the cablegram from my publisher in England that the prize had been awarded to me. I was staying then at the school of Santiniketan, about which I suppose you know. At that moment we were taking a party over to a forest nearby the school, and when I was passing by the telegram office, a man came running to us and held up the telegraphic message. I had also an English visitor with me in the same carriage. I did not think that the message was of any importance, I just put it into my pocket, thinking that I would read it, when I reached my destination. But my visitor supposed he knew the contents, and he urged me to read it, saying that it contained an important message. And I opened and read the message, which I could hardly believe. I first thought that possibly the telegraphic language was not quite correct and that it might misread the meaning of it. And you can well understand how rejoicing it was for my boys at the school and for the teachers."
The biographer of Rabindranath was present at the school at Santiniketan; he wrote;
" After the reopening of the school on 15th Nov. the poet, Rathindranath and Dinendranath were going for a outing by a motor car through the Saal forest of Chaupahari, they received the telegram enroute their journey which read as "Rabindranath received the nobel prize on literature for 1913 for literature. The telegram was sent by Satyendranath Dutta. The news was brought by Nagendranath and it was annonced at the time of lunch in the kitchen."
Thomson wrote in his description that about 4.30 PM I had my tea . He (Rabi)came in suddenly and said "Mr. Thomson, will you excuse me for a few hours? I have to go somewhere."