Monday, May 2, 2011

Satish Chandra and Santiniketan ( contd-24)

Rathindranath wrote,
"Because the growth of this school was the growth of my life and that of a mere carrying out of my doctrines, its ideal changed with its maturity like a ripening fruit that not only grows in its bulk and deepens in its colour, but undergoes change in the very quality of its inner pulp."
Rabindranath wrote in his book "My School",
"Fortunately for me I had a place ready to my hand where I could begine my work. My father, in one of its numerous travels, had selected this lonely spot as the one suitable for his life of communion with God. This place, with a permanent endowment, he dedicated to the use of those who seek penance and seclusion for their meditation and prayer. I had about ten boys with me when I came here and started my new life with no previous experience whatsoever." ( Rabindranath Tagore, 'My School' reprint, London, Macmillan.)
Literary work of Rabindranath was as usual, not only in writing poetry, he wrote one novel 'Noukadubi'. In fact, in his early youth he had been to Gazipur and his happy remembrance had been described here nicely.
He also mentioned his concern in the letters written to Kunjalal and Satish Chandra Roy. The letter written dated 5.4.1903 by Satischadra was important as it contained the methods of teaching of the ideals of Brahmacharyashram and how he was applying them in Santiniketan. He wrote,
" the students were, now, absorbed in literature. According to their choice Hembabu's poems were better than that of Michael Babu's.I read before them the similar poetry when I used to teach them a poetry........I didn't prescribed anything about philology."
Ranbindranth's method of teaching was also like that of Satish Chandra. He liked Satish Chandra for that reason.