Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rabindranath in Japan (contd-3)

The ship reached Rangooin on 7th May. Rabindranath wrote Mira Devi on the next day ;
" We reached Rangoon after stormy weather. In the evening, there was heavy cowed on the sea shore. they ran through a distance of 3 miles shouting 'Bandemataram' , 'Rabindranath ki joy' etc. the owners of the shops on the both sides of the street became astonished. I was feeling shy.We had our lodging here in the house of P.C.Sen. We had cross dialogue and laughter with 'Dhani', the youngest  daughter of Barrister Keshab Chandra Sen and wife of the son of Barrister P.C.Sen, whom Rabindranath knew  her from her teens.
Rabindranath dedicated "Balaka" to Pearson on his 36th birth day with a note of eight lines poem which expressed the nature of Pearson who narrated his own feeling about the poem offered to him in a letter dated 7th May ;
" I remember your gift to me on my birthday three years ago when we were on our way to Japan and remember how I read that dedication when the volume arrived in America. Tour faith in me and your love for me are the most precious of gifts and my one desire is to become more worthy of them."
25th baishakh ( 8th May 1916) rabindranath completed 55 years of age and stepped in 56. On this morning they had gone to visit Shwedagon Pagoda of Rangoon .
 The emigrated Indians and Brahmese arranged a felicitation of Rabindranath in the afternoon  in the local Jubilee Hall. A local resident named Girindranath Sarkar described the ceremony .
Rabindranath wrote to Pratima Devi details about the programme.