Thursday, September 1, 2011

Proposed 2nd marriage of Rabindranath

On 5th Shraban (21 July) Rabindranath wrote to Padminimohan Niyogi, sub-editor of
 "Bengali" magazine :
" I am  astonished to learn that a Bengali news paper has published  a completely false news that I am eager to marry 2nd  time - please insert a protest in your paper and oblige me."
The "Bengalee" did not hesitate to write that ,
" A STATEMENT CONTRADICTED ./ In connection with the statement made by a local vernacular daily to the effect that Babu Rabindranath Tagore is going to marry again, we are in a position to state authoritatively that the report is absolutely unfounded."
The name of the local news paper was neither  made open by Rabindranath nor by "Bengalee". 
Hemalata Devi informed in this context, " a bogus news was published in a paper  that Rabi Thakur will marry again. I handed over the paper to Kamala  Bauma (wife of Dinendranath Thakur) and asked her  to show it to the uncle.... After going through the paper he remarked sarcastically, 'then why you are making delay, go and bring clothes and sweets for my rice-taking ceremony before my marriage.'
But it was not totally false. An arrangement was going to be made for his second marriage and in this regard she informed,
"After  the death of my aunt Maharshi Debendranath have tried to get my uncle married again. But my uncle did not agree. At one time, I too tried to become a match-maker. Trailakya Sanyal came and said to me that I must try to make uncle agreeable to marry again. If he agrees  then it would be good  to arrange a marriage with Sucharu. Sucharu was the daughter of Keshab Chandra Sen. She was my friend, a very nice girl. I let my husband informed the matter when he replied that uncle will never agree to marry second time. But at the request of Trailakya Sanyal, one day, I told my uncle that Sucharu is my friend, if you marry her, it would be very nice. He remained silent for some time and replied, 'don't arrange a marriage of your friend with me. I possess a tendency out of my control and I don't want to put any one trouble for that."
Sucharu, the daughter of Keshab Chandra, was married with Maharaja Ramachandra Bhanjadeo of Mayurbhanja. Rabindranath was well acquianted with both of them. He invited both of them on 31st Aswin, 1313 (17 feb 1906) to come to Santiniketan. Maharaja died on 22 Feb 1912 ( 10 Phalgun 1318) leaving his two sons and a daughter of  1st marriage and one son and one daughter of  his 2nd wife (Sucharu devi). It is difficult to say the time of negotiation of the above marriage.
Maitreyee Devi, in her autobiography, 'Na hanyate', also mentioned the attempt of Maharshi  to get Rabindranath marry again by citing the example of Poet Pryambada Devi that many do not know that after the death of the wife of Rabindranath, a proposal was thrown to get him married with her.'