Friday, July 30, 2010

Hemendranath Tagore(contd-1)

Hemendranath was concerned with three things.  His family- in the broader sense, which included father, mother, brothers, sisters, and his own family, Tattwabodhini Sabha and the estates of  the Tagore family.
But his life-span was so brief, only 40 yrs, 1844-1848, that he could not do any justice to any of the three excepting that he could get married of his daughters to well placed grooms in different parts of India.
Hemendranath's Tattwabodhini:
A series of developments in Tattwabodhini Sabha after its merger in 1843 with Calcutta Brahmo Samaj resulted in the forming of a reformist core elect Brahmin group, which stood apart from Calcutta Brahmo Samaj during the fractious period of 1858 to 1865, to later emerge as Adi Dharma. This core was initially under Pt. Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar who later entrusted it to Hemendranath in 1859. Finally in 1865 Hemendranath took charge, firmly insisting on the expulsion of non-Brahmins from preaching posts. He thereafter organised research on the formal practices, rituals and observations for Brahmo adherents which were privately circulated in early 1860 as Brahmo Anusthan. This Anusthan was limited for the Brahmin families of the 1843 First Covenant only and was first used publicly in 26 July 1861 for the marriage of his second sister Sukumari. The Anusthan involving discarding the Sacred Brahmin Thread, which created considerable controversy and was thereafter adopted for the non-brahmins also with some small modifications for those who possessed no thread.
Vision of Brahma :  
Hemendranath explained his peculiar experiences while he was meditating. This was known as "description of Vision of Brahma in 1848".
       Then I went out and sat underneath an ashvatta tree and according to the teaching of the saints began meditating on the Spirit of of God dwelling my soul. My mind was flooded with emotion, my eyes were filled with tears. All at once I saw the shining vision of Brahma in the lotus core of my heart. A thrill passed through my whole body, I felt a joy beyond all measure. But the next moment I could see Him  no more. On losing sight of that beautific vision which destroys all sorrow, I suddenly rose from the ground. A great sadness came over my spirit. Then I tried to see him again by force of contemplation, and found him not. I became as one stricken with disease and would not be comforted. Meanwhile I suddenly heard a voice in the air, "In this life thou shalt see Me no More. Those whose hearts have not been purified, who have not achieved the highest Yoga, cannot see Me. It was only to stimulate thy love that I once appeared before thee.'